servicespartnersblogmeetcontact

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

27 Weeks

I hope all of you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I had an amazing day just relaxing with my husband and daughter. Thinking about all my husband does for me and his family, it reminded me of how focused all of the attention is on me during pregnancy. In reality, this pregnancy affects my husband just as much as me. Besides dealing with my mood swings, lack of energy, and ice cream cravings, he is also coping with how his life will change once our second daughter gets here. He is far from alone. Many soon-to-be fathers are left to cope with their fears and worries internally.

Some fears that many men have:
1. Will I be a good father?
2. Will I be able to provide adequately for my family?
3. Will she love the baby more than me?
4. Will I be able to be strong during labor and delivery?
5. Will I ever get my old life back?

What helped us get through the first pregnancy? I suggest getting daddy-centered books. While your partner could peruse the same books you are reading, the ones written for a man/by a man will speak "his language". Many of them are filled with humor and don't go into the nitty gritty details of every stage of labor. Does your partner need to know about passing the mucus plug? Maybe not.

Also try to spend some time talking about his fears of pregnancy and raising a baby. Listen without judgement and try to be supportive. If your partner isn't the type to bring the topic up, try broaching it when you two are alone and able to talk freely.

This is a great time to grow stronger as a couple and start focusing on the new family you are forming!

All the best,
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment